Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Good Eats, Great Seats: Iron Starr Urban Bar-B-Q

Instead of sharing all my favorite local restaurants in a "Top 10" type blog, I'm going to feature one a week. The 405 is home to many great local eateries which not only provide some great grub, but also feature some of the most eclectic and trendy spaces in which to enjoy a fantastic meal.



Iron Starr Bar-B-Q:
3700 N Shartel
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
405-524-5925

I won't lie. The reason I first ate here is because this restaurant incorporates two of my favorite things: stars and BBQ. I won't go into any of the scuttlebutt surrounding the emergence of this restaurant in the 405, but I was willing to give it a chance long before many of my friends. Although my reasons for originally giving it a chance were somewhat shallow, those quickly gave way to long-lasting love for an establishment with an interesting and constant menu full of wonderful food choices. After one meal at Iron Starr, I began a campaign amongst my friends to convince those grudge-holding hold outs to give this restaurant a chance and let the food speak for itself.




While I haven't tried everything on their menu, I've seriously never ordered anything which wasn't scrumptious. You can check out their menu HERE. I can, in confidence, recommend anything on the menu, but there are a few things I feel everyone must try at least once......and then I dare you not to order them over and over again.





Must Eats:


Bacon wrapped Quail Breast
Beef Tenderloin Wedge Salad
Slow Smoked St Louis Ribs
Mac n Cheese (from scratch)
Southwest Slaw (love, love, LOVE jicima!)
Dutch Oven Potatoes (made with sweet potatoes.....I dream of them often)
Chopped Brisket sandwich (topped with slaw)
Banana Pudding (from scratch)
Chocolate Bread Pudding (the sauce has Grand Marinier in it......yum)


If you haven't eaten at Iron Starr, you must! With the additional seating added 2 years ago, there's less waiting on the weekends, but for larger groups you should call ahead and make a reservation. I haven't eaten at their new location in Norman, but I'm sure the food is great there, too.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that IS had opened a location in Norman! That's actually probably closer for me, LOL, if it's right off the highway. I've recommended to Sarah that we either go to Iron Starr, Sage or The Boom for her bday dinner. I'm personally leaning towards Iron Starr since that's where I wanted to take her last year, but I figure we'll probably do the Boom, and keep it all down in the 'hood area;) I digress....you are correct that everyone should give IS a try--even if just for the Mac & Cheese and the Dutch Oven Potatoes!

    ReplyDelete