Monday, February 1, 2010

Building Blocks, Lasting Beauty: Bungalow Style

One of the things I love most about living in the 405 is the interesting mix of architectural style. From the new construction in the Deep Deuce area to the remodeled buildings in the Midtown Renaissance to the beautifully maintained original structures, there's always something interesting to see.


Personally, my favorite type of residential architecture is the bungalow, so I'm going to share some of my favorites around town. I won't try to give any technical explanations about the evolution of the bungalow style or what the bungalow style encompasses but rather, I'll give my brief layman's description of my favorite type of bungalow.


The bungalow was popularized in the United States during the Arts and Crafts period. The long and low lines of the house combined with the gabled roof and dormer windows create such beauty. Most times there is a full porch stretching across the entire front of the house. Usually, they Arts and Craft bungalow (sometimes called the Craftsman bungalow) is one story, but there are many one and a half story bungalows called "airplane" bungalows; named for the "cockpit" type appearance of the smaller, upper level.


The internet contains an abundance of information on the evolution of and different types of bungalows but for now, I offer these lovely examples of classic, bungalow style.









No comments:

Post a Comment